Sunday 20 November 2016

Week 46 - Fiitball goes to Wales & Wayne Rooney Tales

Monday
I did my session in London for the academy satellite centre. Driving in I recognised one of the families walking from the tube. It was a mum with her son. I made a point of asking her how far she comes to training when i seen her later on. She had a long train journey home from training as well. Its quite clear that many of these people live on or near the bread line, have difficult lives, single parents and it amazes me the lengths, strength and desire of some parents. We foolishly as well presume that they go to these extremes because its them pushing the child. But she said to me, "I just do whatever it takes to make him happy, this is what he want's so I find a way". She never mentioned money. I'm sure he does, but I hope her lad appreciates what his mum puts herself through. 
There was also a lad training that didn't seem right to me. I asked him and he said he felt sick and had been off school. This started another series of questions. Too sick for school but drags himself to training? My club would not want that and I certainly don't. I explained to him that his commitment is commendable, however. I cant think of any child in all the years that succeeded or failed becasue they were sick and missed training as a result. He looked reassured, wrapped up and went home with his parents.

Tuesday
A long day, started on the road to head to Gloucestershire from Bedfordshire to deliver Fiitball in a primary school. The feedback from the teachers was fantastic and more importantly, the pupils who all took part and some asked if we could go back again. We were talking about movement and awareness in team games and netball came up. I asked "can you name me any sports then where you think netball skills would also be useful"?. A little girl put her hand up and replied, "yes, netball". Haha, done me there. I asked for that!
After the school day I went and had dinner with a previous colleague from QPR who now works for Swindon Town before I headed to the ground for my scouting role. They had Eastleigh in the FA Cup. Eastleigh were excellent and had a good game plan executed by some good experienced professionals. I sat with Paul Furlong to watch the game who I also worked with at QPR and we had a good catch up. It still amazes me how big the ego's are on some people in football who have never really achieved anything yet guys like Furz are so nice and humble. 

Wednesday
Managed to get a late upgrade to the Celtic Manor resort which was a fantastic nights sleep before a short drive down to Newport where I was to deliver Fiitball to a whole school years 3-6. One thing that becomes apparent to me doing this all over the country is that there is a difference in the mannerism of the staff and children. Also a difference in resilience. I see lots of children who get upset very quickly, or hurt and rushed off to medical rooms seemingly for no reason. I didn't see that here. The children were bright, enthusiastic, bags of energy, tough and most of all funny! Its great to hear children laughing and allowed to have personality. I didn't once hear "he said, she said". Technically I could clearly see many children passing the ball to each other in the style of rugby. There is no doubt what is popular round here. One child said to me, "You smell like Ronaldo" after a conversation about the smell of the bibs. I don't know how it was intended but I certainly was taking that as compliment.
I had a long drive home to listen to radio and decided on talksport. During that drive and over the next days i heard host after host continuing the Wayne Rooney discussion. I must have heard his name 500 times. For me its a non topic and all those who criticise him as hes a role model etc need to take a look at themselves. Yes Wayne is England's captain and indeed a role model to children. However its parents that are the closest influence on their children and i'm sure 99% can tell similar stories and worse. Hypercritical warning me thinks!
Also in the car I listen to a talksport show topic title. 'Was Paul Scholes all that'? What a fantastic player. World class and now in his retirement do we really need to have such a pointless debate? Comparing him to Gerrrard and Lampard. Why? He was different. All three were great for slightly different reasons. Its typical English, we have to find whats wrong, we have to find fault. Many managers get critised for lack of decency and integrity or horrible management skills. Gareth Southgate is in the frame for the England Managers job, wait for it, hes too nice! When will we ever stop?
Wayne has been one of the most exciting English players ever and lets be straight, England's top scorer! What a great servant to club and country. Over 400 premier league games and 119 England games. Does he not deserve a bit of respect instead of hounding him like hes an evil criminal? He got drunk in a hotel lobby. So what?

Thursday
Yet another school delivering Fiitball. This time in Oxford. Got a great response from the pupils and teachers again. Its so rewarding to have a group who at one end includes elite academy footballers and at the other many stated special educational needs. So to have a whole class together enjoying sport, boys and girls, all willing participating and getting something from it is very rewarding. I always like to try and leave with success in at least one development topic. I focused on triangle shape around the ball, individuals losing markers and risk v reward passes.
A teacher afterwards and said how impressed she was how I had handled a boy who is a signed academy player. Of course, I have been working with boys like him for many years so I have a way I guess that can challenge him, acknowledge his ability but equally keeping him grounded. 

Saturday
Myself and Kevin Gallen headed to Watford to do a couple of sessions for a grass roots club under our brand 2touchfootball. On the first group we decided to try something. "What do you want to do in training"? We asked the group of U11's. I will then try to help you within the session that you decide. After a couple of minutes of excitement, they decided. Two things came out. Shooting and Play Matches. We put it to the vote and 'Play Matches' was by far the most popular. Its interesting I feel for us as coaches to remember what it is the children want. We get frustrated when they keep saying "can we play a match now", but its proof that is what they enjoy most. So can we get topics out as a coach inside their choice to play matches? We put a 'cross' on each pitch and played 3x 5 aside matches. as we progressed we put rules and challenges inside the games that allowed us to achieve, ball manipulation, 1v1s, passing and receiving, movement and awareness and combination play. Not bad considering the lads did what they wanted. Playing games.
Saturday afternoon I went to Barnet v Crewe and it looked as though Martin Allen was attempting to keep himself away from the touchline. However, that didn't last long and he was soon down there dragging players into areas he wanted them. It was reported that he didn't need his minor heart surgery. But i'm sure and hope he keeps tabs on it. To this day its still so devastating to know that my own father lost his life at 48 to a heart attack that could have been prevented with a stent in minor surgery. Its a tough job and Martin Allen is a big strong man. Fingers crossed hes now on the mend!
Have a great week doing sports and coaching!

Tony McCool
@antmccool7 

No comments:

Post a Comment